The video recording of ESOF2020 session “Advancing R&I ecosystems in the Western Balkans with regard to their ERA integration” organized by EC DG Research and Innovation International Service Facility, is now available online. The presentations focused on the current status and the efforts taking place towards enhancing R & I ecosystems in the Western Balkans, at national and European level, followed by discussions on the future actions for achieving their integration to the European Research Area.
NI4OS – Europe, key building block of the European Open Science Cloud, provided input regarding the Open Science developments taking place at national and regional level as a crucial step towards the materialization of EOSC. The presentation provided the background of the efforts towards enabling high-quality research and ICT developments and regional cross-border collaboration via the delivery of advanced networking and computational resources, thematic services as well as application support and training to the users. It also emphasized on the importance of maintaining close cooperation with governments to secure national support for EOSC e-Infrastructures and ensuring synergy and complementarity between national, regional and EU actions and funds. Regional initiatives such as NI4OS-Europe are pieces of the puzzle to sustain regional R&D, R&E, ICT development, increasing the retention of talented scientists and engineers in the region, making available the benefits of Information Society and Open Science for all citizens.
Session Panel and presentations
- Stefan Weiers – ERA & Country Intelligence, DG Research and Innovation, European Commission, holding the role of the moderator
- Vedran Šimunovic – Intera Technology Park, in Mostar, Bosnia and Herzegovina: “Role and potential of science parks and incubators in the Western Balkans”
- Ales Gnamus from the European Commission Joint Research Centre and S3 Platform: “Smart specialization beyond EU: a focus on Western Balkans”
- Branka Zizic, General Director for Innovation and Technology Development in the Ministarstvo nauke Crne Gore: “Montenegro’s R&I ecosystem”
- Ognjen Prnjat, Director of National Infrastructures for Research and Technology -GRNET: “Building National Initiatives for Open Science: NI4OS – Europe
ESOF2020 and “Advancing R&I ecosystems in the Western Balkans with regard to their ERA integration” session in numbers
The EuroScience Open Forum (ESOF) is a biennial, pan-European, general science conference dedicated to scientific research and innovation. In this year’s hybrid format due to the COVID-19 pandemic, online visitors came from 52 countries across five continents. “Advancing R&I ecosystems in the Western Balkans with regard to their ERA integration” session attracted 99 online views in real time.